Friday, June 19, 2015

Mushrooms might be my favorite things ever



Sometimes you spend all day on Pinterest looking for the perfect recipe for dinner, and some days you don't give a shit and just hope you can pull something together with what you have.  To be honest, I've had a lot more IDGAF days lately than not, mostly because I'm in the middle of this epic weight loss journey and have a smoothie for one meal a day and then try to be just adventurous enough to trick my tastebuds into thinking I'm eating like I did when I was pregnant, and sometimes it's just too much work because whatever it is I'm feeling is something that the kids (ugh, "if it ain't cheese, we don't want it") or the husband (ugh, vegetarian) won't eat.  But tonight I lucked up and came up with a low fat, vegetarian (vegan if you use a vegan "egg" noodle), quick dinner that every one ate.  Except for Charlotte, I didn't even attempt to serve it to her because she doesn't like mushrooms...she says, but eats them in various capacities.  She ate egg noodles with nutritional yeast, garlic powder and coconut oil.

So dinner.  Let's keep this short and sweet:

Double Mushrooms with Kale, Chickpeas and Egg Noodles

1 lb. bag egg noodles (or less, I had some feelings to eat)
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp olive oil
8 oz shiitake mushrooms, sliced
8 oz portobellos, sliced (use baby's or biggies)
1 15 oz. can chickpeas (don't drain!)
2 cups chopped kale
1/2 cup water
1 tbsp liquid bouillon/vegetable base (is it liquid? What do you call it?  Better than bouillon is my fave)
1/2 tbsp Rosemary
Salt and pepper to taste

Boil egg noodles and set aside.

Sautée minced garlic in olive oil for 2-3 minutes.  Add in both mushrooms and cook down 8-10 minutes.  Add kale, chickpeas and liquid, rosemary, water and vegetable base and stir until combined.  



Put lid on and cook for about 20 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste and add egg noodles to the veggie/broth mixture.

I topped mine with nutritional yeast flakes and crispy fried onions from the Indian grocer (like French's, but a million billion times better).

You can definitely mix and match stuff to your taste buds.  Don't have two kind of mushrooms?  Use one.  Have broccoli but no kale?  Cool, use it.  Maybe try it over rice or quinoa and omit the egg noodles.  Think of it as a hearty, vegetarian stew.  






No comments:

Post a Comment